Note: Excel export includes all columns below.
- ID - A unique identification number for the organism. Specific to this application. Clicking on the number will open a Species Summary page.
- Taxon Level - Indicates whether the record is for a species, or lower taxonomic
level (i.e. population or variant)
- Scientific Name - Names of vascular plants and vertebrates, are provincial standard names from
BC Species and Ecosystems Explorer . Names of seaweeds are from
Algae Base. Names of marine invertebrates are from the Integrated Taxonomic
Information System (ITIS).
- Scientific Name Synonyms - Other scientific names by which this organism is known
- English Name - Names of vascular plants and vertebrates, are provincial standard names from
BC Species and Ecosystems Explorer. Names of seaweeds are from Keys to
the Seaweeds and Seagrasses of Southeast Alaska, British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. Phycological
Contribution Number 7. Names of marine invertebrates are from the Integrated Taxonomic Information
- English Name Synonyms - Other English names by which this organism is known
- General Habitats - Marine (M), Terrestrial (T) or Freshwater (F)
- Barkley Sound - 'Yes' indicates the organism occurs in Barkley Sound. For terrestrial and
freshwater organisms this definition includes all land draining into the sound. For pelagic birds, it
extends 16 km (10 miles) offshore.
- Sensitive - 'Y' indicates BMSC considers the organism vulnerable to disturbance or exploitation
- Exotic - 'Y' indicates the organism is not native to British Columbia
- Species Code - Code designated by the provincial Resource Information Standards Committee
- Summer and Winter Presence - used primarily for birds, values include: abundant (easy to see;
often large flocks), common (should see), uncommon (must search for), rare (lucky to see), casual (one
or two records each year), accidental (five or fewer records) and pelagic (seen primarily offshore).
- Breeding Bird - 'Y' indicates the bird breeds in Barkley Sound
- CCAC Report - BMSC must report collections of this organism to the Canada Council on Animal Care
- BMSC Track - BMSC requires all collections of this organism to be entered in the database.